Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bell gags self

Heath Bell says he won't be talking to the press about any ongoing or upcoming contractual talks between him and the Padres. I'm skeptical that the Loveable Kook can stay quiet on any subject for that long, but he doesn't want to detract from what the team is trying to accomplish. "I'm going to use a little of Albert Pujols and say, 'Talk to my agent and Jed Hoyer about it, because I'm not going to talk about it,' " he said. Bell is in his walk year and might be traded this summer if the Padres are out of playoff contention. He confirmed that he's still holding out hope that the Padres will sign him to an extension. "I'm not going to beat that into the ground," he said, scoring points with the Strategic Planners.

The team's closer since 2008, Bell may be the most recognizable Padre on a retooled roster loaded with newcomers. "Am I the face of the franchise?" he said before the home opener today. "I do have a fat face, but Bud Black and the coaches are the face of the franchise."

No comments:

Post a Comment